Investor Counsel exclusively represents security holders and investment funds. We focus on structuring transactions, negotiating investments, maximizing recoveries, resolving disputes, overseeing distributions and otherwise protecting shareholder rights. We have extensive experience in fund formation, investment and sale of securities, mergers and acquisitions, escrows, milestone payments and earn-outs.
Investor Counsel serves as regular outside counsel to security holders represented by Fortis Advisors, a leader in post-closing shareholder representation in major merger and acquisition transactions, with an emphasis on the venture capital and private equity markets.
Holmen Ventures, Newport Beach, CA 2013 – Present
Board of Directors membership, General Counsel and strategic financial consulting services for technology and healthcare companies. Active projects include the following:
- Act One Ventures (www.actoneventures.com) – Legal and financial consulting services to Act One Ventures, a community-focused, early stage venture capital fund focused on community building around the UCLA community and their alumni
- Life College (www.lifecollegeoc.org) – non-profit post-secondary school focused on enabling young adults with intellectual disabilities to transition to independent living and employment
- MovoCash (www.movo.cash) – Member of the Board of Directors of MovoCash, which offers an innovative platform using virtual prepaid one-time use cards for financial transactions, keeping consumers’ financial and personal information secure while offering the convenience of a mobile payment app
- Panacea Pharmaceuticals (www.panaceapharma.com) – Member of the Board of Directors of Panacea Pharmaceuticals, a developer of drugs and diagnostic tests for integrated cancer management and the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases
- Salutogenic Innovations, LLC – Business and legal consultant for Salutogenic Innovations, LLC, a social impact company created to accelerate the development and market introduction of new technology discoveries associated with healing, wellness and well-being
Miramar Venture Partners, Newport Beach, CA 2001 – Present
Co-Founder and Managing Director of two legacy (fully invested) funds at Miramar Venture Partners, focused on investing in and building early-stage technology companies:
- Miramar I – 18 portfolio investments 2001 – 2007 focused on semiconductor, network systems, storage and application software markets
- Miramar II – 17 portfolio investments 2008 – 2012 focused on the cloud, storage, Internet and healthcare IT markets
Past board memberships include Fastsoft (sold to Akamai) and SiliconSystems (sold to Western Digital Corporation).
In addition, I serve as CFO and General Counsel of the legacy Miramar funds, responsible for all fund operations including accounting, auditing, investor reporting, legal and employment matters.
Aequitas Capital Management, Lake Oswego, OR 2015 – 2016
General Counsel of Aequitas Capital, a diversified financial services company that created alternative investments including private equity, private credit and specialty finance. The firm invested in under-served sectors with an emphasis on education, healthcare and financial services. During my brief tenure at Aequitas, I helped the company deal with significant business challenges, including two Federal investigations. I helped guide the company appropriately into restructuring and liquidation.
In addition, I led the in-house legal team in providing legal counsel to the senior executive team on all aspects of the firm’s business, including securities, fundraising, compliance, contracts, corporate matters, labor law, litigation, regulatory matters and ethics.
University of California Irvine, School of Law, Irvine CA 2014
Lecturer. Taught “Venture Capital Law” – Fall 2014
University of Southern California, Marshall School of Business, Los Angeles, CA 2012 – 2014
Adjunct Professor of Entrepreneurship, Lloyd Greif Center for Entrepreneurial Studies, USC Marshall School of Business. Courses taught:
- “Investing in New Ventures” – MBA program Spring 2012, Fall 2012, Spring 2013, Fall 2013, Spring 2014
- “Venture Initiation” – Masters in Business for Veterans program Spring 2014
First Consulting Group, Inc., Long Beach, CA 1999 – 2001
Vice President & General Counsel of First Consulting Group (NASDAQ: FGCI; later acquired by CSC), an information technology consulting firm focused on the health care market.
CoCensys, Inc., Irvine, CA 1997 – 1999
Vice President, General Counsel & Acting CFO of CoCensys, Inc. (NASDAQ: COCN until it was acquired by Purdue Pharmaceuticals), a venture-backed biopharmaceutical company that developed drugs for central nervous system disorders.
National Education Corporation, Irvine, CA 1994 – 1997
Corporate Counsel of National Education Corporation (NYSE: NEC until it was acquired by Harcourt General), an international provider of educational products and services.
Morrison & Foerster, Irvine, CA 1992 – 1994
Associate attorney at the international law firm of Morrison & Foerster
Latham & Watkins, Costa Mesa, CA 1989 – 1992
Associate attorney at the international law firms of Latham & Watkins
Matthew Binder & Co., Oakland, CA 1987 – 1988
Research assistant for major legal publisher (part time while in law school at UC Berkeley)
Hughes Aircraft, Fullerton, CA 1983 – 1986
Member of the Technical Staff for the Advanced Displays Department at Hughes Aircraft’s Ground Systems Group (1985 – 1986); summer intern (1983 – 1984 while in school at Stanford University)